Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Toschenko's big & yellow log - Battleworn Imperial Fists

Re: Toschenko's Random Painting Log

Liking the Van Saar ganger. God bless there Mullets.
    <

Thanks for the comments and the support, folks! Sorry for the lack of updates these days...

@Borsil: feel free to steal my idea and, obviously, to improve it!

Here are some pics of the finished command team, from various angles:

C&C are as always welcome, keep on posting here :-)

Toschenko
    My "to do" list. Last completed mini: IF Sternguard veteran Currently working on: IF Librarian and Sternguard squad

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowheart View Post
    Paint needs no explanation. Undercoat allows none.
    My painting log, now totally devoted to the Imperial Fists 4th company - battleworn style!
    A tale of two dwarf slayers - top level painting exercise with Avatars of War minis
    <

Tons of great stuff in here. Love your clean work and im so gonna steal that lighting-trick! Them maybe i can get good pictures with the right colors sometime. :P

Keep painting!
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Toschenko View Post
    My pen is a 005 one, made by the german manufacturer Staedtler. Here in italy it's readily available, don't know about US though. Here are some pics:

A size comparison shot of the tip, the coin is approximately 2,3 cm (roughly 0,9 inches)

Hope that helps, thanks for joining my log

Toschenko
    don't know if its been said already, but you can get micron pens very readily here in the US that are .005 and a variety of colors.
    New project log to come
    AIRBRUSHING TOPICS (once upon a time...) : topic poll; Master Topic MegaThread!; Q&A
    <

Hey Toschenko! Finally I'm having a look at your log again (about time, as I noticed). All the stuff you've done lately looks great.

The Valhallans look very neat. I like the choice of your colour scheme eventhough it's fairly standard (well, at least 10 years ago it used to be :cries: ) but it just works so well compared to greyer/darker schemes. The russ isn't looking too bad. I think that a little darker grey (contradiction with my first statement about your Epic army? noooooo... ) would have looked better. This half-light grey is always problematic because it has the same colour as GW's plastic (most of the time at least). Anyway, good to see those nice minis painted. Are they still the standard infantry miniatures for Epic IG by the way?

The van Saar dude looks amazing. I like the scheme a lot and the work itself is so smooth and clean, especially the laspistol and the skin. May I ask how you did it? Usual flesh with a purple glaze? Somehow I'm obsessed with purple glaze on faces these days... When I read your question about the colour of the hair for the guy, my first reaction was "Blond hair! Red armour -> blond hair, obviously!!". Well, I'm glad I didn't post my suggestion back then; another colour maybe really would have looked odd on him. As you know, I'm always pretty likely to use one or two colours too many.

Hey, didn't you ask me for ways of painting lots of 15mm minis fast? First step: Don't make them look so neat, people will get jealous! Seriously, those are very nice; I like the pose of the officer a lot. Is the base pre-sculpted or did you do it yourself? You rarely see such detail on 15mm-scale bases.

Alright, I should get painting now too. So much stuff to do and so little time. Looking forward to more updates!
    <

Thanks, Kaos.

Some quick replies to the good Sigur:

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    The Valhallans look very neat. I like the choice of your colour scheme eventhough it's fairly standard (well, at least 10 years ago it used to be) but it just works so well compared to greyer/darker schemes. The russ isn't looking too bad. I think that a little darker grey (contradiction with my first statement about your Epic army? noooooo...) would have looked better. This half-light grey is always problematic because it has the same colour as GW's plastic (most of the time at least). Anyway, good to see those nice minis painted. Are they still the standard infantry miniatures for Epic IG by the way?
    I kept as a reference a valhallan tank drawing I found somewhere on the internet and the tone was almost white... I think I'll try with an even lighter grey, but thanks anyway . I guess that I'm not liking the russ too much for it has been drybrushed, and the finish of the flat parts isn't the best (well, at least IMO).

The van Saar dude looks amazing. I like the scheme a lot and the work itself is so smooth and clean, especially the laspistol and the skin. May I ask how you did it? Usual flesh with a purple glaze? Somehow I'm obsessed with purple glaze on faces these days...
    Yes, for the skin I used my usual receipt, that involves a purple glaze. Purple or green glazes are very used for uman flesh, even if I discovered it a bit late

Hey, didn't you ask me for ways of painting lots of 15mm minis fast? First step: Don't make them look so neat, people will get jealous! Seriously, those are very nice; I like the pose of the officer a lot. Is the base pre-sculpted or did you do it yourself? You rarely see such detail on 15mm-scale bases.
    The base is a pre-sculpted resin one from Kerr&King, from their "urban" range. They have also a line for sci-fi 25mm bases, which I could get for my necromunda gang

Sigur, thanks for all the compliments spread over your post

Toschenko
    My "to do" list. Last completed mini: IF Sternguard veteran Currently working on: IF Librarian and Sternguard squad

My painting log, now totally devoted to the Imperial Fists 4th company - battleworn style!
    A tale of two dwarf slayers - top level painting exercise with Avatars of War minis
    <

Banned

Nice work dude.

Just curious, are the Flames of War minis fun to paint?
    <

You take time off, I've been away a while... some serious reading to be done here...

As ever, lovely stuff. I especially like the FoW command base - not too sure about the colour of the tiles, but the rest is awesome. How did you do the aerial on the radio operator? Was it part of the model or is it wire of some sort?

Anyway, lovely stuff. Just one thing from me

PAINT MORE DWARVES
    <

Quote Originally Posted by hallowed_are_the_ori View Post
    Nice work dude.

Just curious, are the Flames of War minis fun to paint?
    FoW minis are fun, not rewarding as bigger ones but fun. The fun is that you can go crazy with the base, each stand could be modelled as a mini diorama and THIS is funny . Playing the game is even better (I'm a big fan of the designers at battlefront)

Quote Originally Posted by Crube View Post
    As ever, lovely stuff. I especially like the FoW command base - not too sure about the colour of the tiles, but the rest is awesome. How did you do the aerial on the radio operator? Was it part of the model or is it wire of some sort?
    Nice to see you here again, mate !

The tiles are meant to be part of a former bathroom or kitchen, so I thought that a light blue could have been fitting the theme... the aerial is a bristle from an old broom, cut to the correct lenght, angled (like the real SCR300 radio) and painted black.

Anyway, lovely stuff. Just one thing from me

PAINT MORE DWARVES
    Will do . Thank you for the support

Toschenko

<

Thanks for the thing about the radio aerial - I'll be pinching that one for a littel idea I have for the Ork Commission I'm doing.

And the tiles manke more sense now
    <

I'm really sorry if I'm dragging this thread up but I've just spent hours going through it and had to say something.

Basically mate, its superb. I've been feeling really uninspired lately and this log has really given me the kick I needed. Your painting is beautiful, crisp and smooth. I don't like Dwarves but yo have made me think again.

As I say, I apologise to the mods if I've dragged the thread up but I just thought such a large body of quality work couldn't go uncommented by me...
    <

nice stuff in this thread why did I discover it so late ? lol
    Check out my Dakka Gallery.
    including Ultramarines, Marines Malevolent, Mechanicus, Pre Heresy Stuff and lots more
    <

Thanks guys, your kind words make my ego fly perhaps a bit too high

As for the resurrection of this thread don't worry, you anticipated me by a few days... I'm still in finals period with university so I don't have much time to paint, but I should have an update to come in the short period

I've laid down a list of what I've still to do: I'll update it with the other games when I'll have some more spare time (as usual in these cases, red means bare metal and green finished):

Dwarves

The anvil of doom

5(!) Lord/Thanes

Thane on Oath Stone

BSB Thane

2 Runesmiths

2 Master engineers

AoW Slayer

20 Warriors with GWs

20 Warriors with HtH weapons/shield (BfSP)

20 Thunderers (10 metal and 10 BfSP)

10 Quarrellers

10 Rangers (the metal ones)

25 Longbeards (the metal ones)

4 Bolt thrower with engineers (2 new 2 old)

1 Cannon (6th)

1 Grudge thrower (6th)

1 Grudge thrower (7th)

20 Trollslayers

20 Ironbreakers

10 Miners (metal)

20 Hammerers

2 Organ guns (6th)

1 Flame cannon (6th)

1 Gyrocopter (6th)

Space Marines (Imperial Fists)

Commander

Pedro Kantor

Terminator chaplain

Terminator captain

Terminator Librarian

Librarian with tome

Command Squad

10-men Tactical Squad

10-men Tactical Squad

5-men Scout squad with bolters/H. Bolter (metal)

5-men Scout Squad with sniper rifles/missile launcher (metal)

5-men Sternguard Veteran Squad

2 Rhinos 1 completed

Razorback

10-men Assault squad

10-men Assault squad

3 Land speeders (plastic)

1 Land speeder (metal, 2ed one)

8 Bikers

4 Attack bikes 1 completed

Predator Destructor (old)

Predator Annihilator (new)

Whirlwind (old)

Flames of War

U.S. rifle company

Company command

2 Rifle platoons

Machine-Gun Platoon

Weapons Platoon

Field Artillery Battery

5 Shermans

German Armour

5 Tiger IE

2 Panzer IV H

Necromunda

Van Saar gang (1 leader, 1 heavy, 2 juves and 4 gangers)

For fun minis

Konrad von carstein

AoW goblin hero

AoW dark elf sorceress

Let's see if I can put some green in that bloody red list!

Toschenko
    Last edited by Toschenko; 27-06-2010 at 01:43.

<

Well, that's quite a to-do list you got there. Best of luck with that. If you seem to get lazy, we'll whip you in shape, don't worry.
    <

Many minis there Toschenko... more than I have... (makes me feel a little better )

Also, not much green there yet... keep going, I have faith you'll get them all done... and more depressingly for me, all to your exceptional standard...

Keep it up
    <

Best of luck with that. If you seem to get lazy, we'll whip you in shape, don't worry.
    I won't expect anything less from you

Many minis there Toschenko... more than I have... (makes me feel a little better )

Also, not much green there yet... keep going, I have faith you'll get them all done... and more depressingly for me, all to your exceptional standard...

Keep it up
    You'll feel even more better when I'll post the rest, then. And don't depress yourself too much mate, your painting efforts are definately worth looking

You won't believe this one, an update with pics!

Inspired by the beautiful works of starks333 and georc I tried to use many thin glazes for building up shadows... the result doesn't look half as good, but I hope it would improve when I'll go on with more glazing.

Should I paint glowing runes on the base? And if you think so, what colour should I paint those? Advice needed

Toschenko

<

Sorry for double posting

I did a little work the anvil base, added more green glazes (this time you should be able to see more) and a lot of crevices... not something OTT since I plan to add coloured runes but a subtle effect (that I quite like in all honesty).
    Ok, enough talking:

I thought about adding turquoise glowing runes and doing some trim on the anvil itself in the same colour just to tie them together. If anyone has thoughts, alternatives, or comments (or critics ) I'll be here to read 'em all

Toschenko

<

Base looks fantastic as it is to be honest... Although if you're going to do glowing runes, then turquoise or blue would be my choice.

What base coat / highlighting did you use to start with?
    <

Base looks fantastic as it is to be honest... Although if you're going to do glowing runes, then turquoise or blue would be my choice.

What base coat / highlighting did you use to start with?
    The stone effect is achieved this way (starting from a grey base, I used tamiya grey primer):

base with dheneb stone
    glazes with graveyard earth
    MANY glazes in the recesses with catachan green, to get a "moss" feeling
    highlight the edges with dheneb stone + a bit of white (I still have to do that)

and the crevices:

with the smallest and pointiest ( if that's a word) brush you have handy, paint thin lines with a mix of 3 khemri brown and 1 dheneb stone, then underline them with pure dheneb stone to simulate the depth. You should be able to see the underlining if you pay attention to the crappy photo I posted, especially in the north-east corner where the light hasn't washed away all the effect

I think the alternative to the blue runes would be to paint them in green moss colour (like the hollows between the steps of the base)... maybe I should wait and see how the anvil look resting on it.

If you have some hint or suggestion, I'm always here.

Toschenko

<

The base looks great. I wouldnt bother with fancy stuff like glowing runes. It looks amazing!
    <

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast